Skip to main content

MedEd Connections Resource Guide: Blind and Visually Impaired (B/VI)

How Can I Request Special Education Services for My Child?

If you believe your child needs special education services you can make a written or verbal request to the school principal (preferred), special education coordinator, or school psychologist for your child to be evaluated for special education services. We suggest that you make this request through email, so that both you and the school have a record of the evaluation request. Once your request is received (usually acknowledged by an email reply or a phone call back to you) you will receive a request to come in to the school for a meeting within 10 business days. This meeting is for you to share your concerns with the team of professionals at the school, and together determine if more information and evaluation are necessary to better understand your child’s needs.