Skip to main content

MedEd Connections Resource Guide: Blind and Visually Impaired (B/VI)

Obtaining Additional Services

Where Can my Child Receive Additional Services Outside of School?

Your family may benefit from a number of services provided by local service agencies. The following is not an exhaustive list. For example, other options include your local Lions Club, universities, hospitals, and community low-vision clinics or centers.

County Board of Developmental Disabilities
Phone: (800)-617-6733

Your child may be eligible for free services through your County Board of Developmental Disabilities (CBDD). If found eligible, your child may be assigned a service and support administrator (SSA), who will work with you to develop an individual service plan (ISP). The ISP “is a written description of services, supports, and activities provided to a person. These services, supports, and activities should ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the person, as well as assist them to achieve personal goals.”

If you are interested in obtaining an ISP for your child, contact your CBDD and ask for the Intake Department to start the process.

Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD)
Phone: (614) 438-1200

The Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired (BSVI) is the branch of OOD that provides Ohio youth, age 14 and over who have low vision or are legally blind, with the services and supports necessary to help them in employment preparation and job exploration. Vocational rehabilitation (VR) services are customized for each person through assessments and one-on-one meetings with VR counselors. VR services are available statewide and include the following: evaluation and treatment of a peron’s disability, information and referral services, vocational counseling and training, job search and job placement assistance, and educational guidance and other support.

To get started, answer a few quick questions for intake. A BSVI representative will contact you within a few business days to schedule an appointment.

OOD has compiled a list of Vision Loss and Hearing Loss Resources that is available on their website. To view the 2018 list, click here.

Provider Guide Plus

This is a resource created by Ohio’s Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) to serve as a tool to help families more easily find an affordable health or service provider in the nearby area. It is searchable by county, funding type, and specific professional. This is often used to hire a professional to attend to your child outside of school, such as at home care providers, occupational therapist (OT), or speech language pathologist (SLP).