Skip to main content

MedEd Connections Resource Guide: Deaf and Hard of Hearing (D/HH)


An otolaryngologist, also known as ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor, is a medical professional who performs surgeries and prescribes medication. Potential surgeries may correct structural problems in the ear, drain fluids, or insert the internal part of implants. An ENT may also be the person a child sees to get medical clearance when considering hearing assistive technology (HAT), such as hearing aids. The educational audiologist may refer your child to an ENT for clearance or if they detect a medical concern while providing services in the educational setting. In order for these two professionals to share medical and educational information about your child, you will need to give permission by completing a release form. These two professionals can provide the most comprehensive care if they are able to communicate about your child’s needs and test results.

Med Icon

Want to find out more about otolaryngologists (ENT)?
See What is an ENT?