Skip to main content

MedEd Connections Resource Guide: Deaf and Hard of Hearing (D/HH)

Obtaining Additional Services

Your family may benefit from a number of services provided by local service agencies. The following is not an exhaustive list. For example, other options include your local Lions Club, universities, hospitals, and Deaf Services Centers.

Cleveland Child Neuropsychology Clinic
Phone: (216) 292 0610

This neuropsychology clinic performs assessments to identify learning and psychological behavior strengths and needs. Recommendations for support, intervention, modifications, and accommodations are offered to support the development of the whole child.

County Board of Developmental Disabilities
Phone: (800) 617-6733

Your child may be eligible for free services through your County Board of Developmental Disabilities (CBDD). If found eligible, your child may be assigned a service and support administrator (SSA), who will work with your family to develop an individual service plan (ISP). The ISP “is a written description of services, supports, and activities provided to a person. These services, supports, and activities should ensure the health, safety and welfare of the person, as well as assist them to achieve personal goals.”

If you are interested in obtaining an ISP for your child, contact your CBDD and ask for the Intake Department to start the process.

Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD)
Phone: (614) 438-1200

Ohio’s vocational rehabilitation agency works with youth age 14 and older to start the planning process for employment. Pre-Employment Transition Services are designed for students in the early stages of career development, including job exploration counseling, work-based learning opportunities, counseling about opportunities for enrollment in postsecondary educational programs, workplace readiness training, and instruction in self-advocacy. Families and school staff can access additional information about these services on OOD’s website. In addition to youth programs, OOD may provide funding for assistive technology (AT) and other training. Rehabilitation counselors for the deaf are available.

Provider Guide

This is a resource created by Ohio’s Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) to serve as a tool to help families find an affordable health or service provider in their area. It is searchable by county, funding type, and specific professional. This is often used to hire at home care providers, occupational therapists (OT), or speech and language pathologists (SLPs).

2018 Vision Loss and Hearing Loss Resources
Phone: (614) 438-1200

The Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired, 2018 Vision Loss and Hearing Loss Resources document is now available. Organized by categories the updated list contains hundreds of links and articles for education, technology, workplace, family/care giving, and other types of useful public information.