Assistance for Purchasing Hearing Aids
Hearing aid specialist sell hearing aids, but do not have the training to perform assessments or interpret audiograms. Consult your audiologist as well as the hearing aid specialist before purchasing HAT.
Purchase of Hearing Aids
The school or families themselves may purchase hearing aids. Consider the following pros and cons for each.
Pros for family purchase:
- Your child will have auditory access at home and in other settings such as for recreation, college, and employment.
- Your child’s HAT is more easily customized.
Cons for family purchase:
- If the HAT breaks, the family is responsible for the repair and its cost.
Pros for school purchase:
- If the HAT breaks, the school will be responsible for the repair and its cost.
- The HAT will not be lost or forgotten at home because it stays at school.
Cons for school purchase:
- The HAT may have to stay at school, and will not go with your child after graduation because it is school property.
Medicaid may cover the cost of hearing aids if your child is eligible.
Below are some additional resources that may be used to obtain HAT or medically related services if your child qualifies.
Phone: (800) 755-4769
BCMH is a health care program that is part of Ohio’s Department of Health (ODH). BCMH links families of children with special health care needs to a list of quality providers, and helps families obtain payment for their child’s health care needs.
Phone: (614) 722-6200
Nationwide Children’s Hospital offers a variety of auditory and speech services. They may be able to assist families in obtaining hearing aids or cochlear implants.
Phone: (614) 466-3543
The Ohio Department of Health provides a hearing aid assistance program that helps families purchase hearing aids, implants, or FM Systems. Families with incomes at or below 400 percent of the federal poverty guidelines are eligible for the program.
Funding for Audiology Services and Hearing Aids
The following resource provides further sources for hearing aid and implant funding, as well as auditory services.