Scanning for Braille, Large Print and Audio
The BEST Grant in collaboration with the AT & AEM Center, American Council of the Blind of Ohio (ACBO), Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence (OCALI), the Ohio Center for Deafblind Education (OCDBE) and the Ohio State School for the Blind (OSSB) invite teachers, braillists, and support staff of students with visual impairments to attend Scanning for Braille, Large Print and Audio training.
Dates / Times
Wednesday, September 6 - Thursday, September 7 2017 from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Registration / Check-in
Wednesday, September 6 from 8:45 - 9:00 am
470 Glenmont Ave. - Columbus, OH 43214
Jerry Whittaker, CISAM Technical Assistance Consultant
Registration deadline: August 28, 2017. This course is limited to 15 participants.
Day 1: Wednesday, September 6
Through discussion and demonstration, the participants will learn about:
- Scanners: What to buy
- Optical character recognition (OCR) software
- Acquiring page images with scanner software and OCR software
- OCR setup options
- Automatic, manual, and template scanning
- Using Microsoft Word for file cleanup
- Opening scanned files in braille translation programs
DAY 2: Thursday, September 7
- Cleaning up downloaded text files
- Converting DAISY files for braille or large print for printing or tablet devices
- Creating large print and onscreen reading files using the Microsoft Word template
- Moving large print (digital text) files to tablet devices
- Converting text into .WAV and .MP3 files
- Burning CDs
The BEST Grant will provide a current version/upgrade of ABBYY FineReader software to participants who attend to take back to their school district/agency (one copy per district/agency) to produce materials.
On Day 2, attendees who have tablet computers should bring their devices preinstalled with a reader that has the ability to read pdf files – such as iBooks or Adobe Reader. Participants should have access to a cloud storage account – such as Dropbox or iCloud – and an e-mail account on their tablet and should have all the necessary passwords to access the cloud storage and email account.
Questions? Please contact Jerry Whittaker | 330.354.3506 (p).
OSSB Student Concessions will provide lunch both days.
Certificate of Attendance:
Ten (10) contact hours will be offered for attending both training days.
Julie Pashovich | 614.410.1042 (p)
The content of this course was developed under a grant from the United States Department of Education. However, this content does not necessarily represent the policy of the United States Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government.