Instructional Strategies for Math and Dealing with Nemeth in the UEB Context
The Instructional Strategies for Math and Dealing with Nemeth in the UEB Context is a one-day inservice with two focuses for mathematics and students with visual impairments.
The morning will encourage Ohio teachers and support staff to learn from each other regarding instructional strategies for teaching math to students with visual impairments. This includes manipulatives, materials, and methods. Participants are invited to share strategies they use in their classroom with students who are blind and visually impaired. Topics could include useful manipulatives, helpful techniques for teaching specific math topics, tips for math in the regular classroom, technology for math, and much more! Participants should come prepared to demonstrate and explain what strategies have been successfully used with their students, and perhaps ask the group for help in an area that has been challenging!
Through the morning discussion, demonstration, and hands-on activities, participants will:
- Become familiar with math instructional strategies for use with students who are blind and visually impaired.
- Connect with other professionals who are involved with math instruction with students who are blind and visually impaired.
- Begin the thinking/planning process on how to use certain technologies with students in their home school district.
- The afternoon will provide hands-on training for Ohio educators and support staff who already have a good working knowledge of Literary and Nemeth Code braille with the skills to use the two codes together.
Through instruction, practice, and discussion, participants will:
- Become familiar with the general principles and symbols for code switching.
- Explore the Braille Authority of North America (BANA) Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Context.
- Practice brailling specific examples of math for all levels.
Dates / Times
Friday, February 23, 2018 from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
470 Glenmont Ave. - Columbus, OH 43214
Shelley Mack, TVI and AT & AEM Center Braille Consultant
Registration deadline: February 16, 2018.
Four and three-fourths (4.75) Contact Hours will be offered