Supporting Learners Series: Identification and Referral
Designed with the whole child in mind, this module focuses on identifying physical signs and academic difficulties that could suggest a student has a visual impairment and how to make a referral to have a vision evaluation completed. It also addresses how related service providers play a key role in supporting students by promoting access and accommodations in the learning environment.
- Explain the whole child approach to working with students with visual impairments.
- Describe the range of various visual impairments and how they may impact students.
- Identify signs that indicate a student may have a visual impairment.
- Describe how to make a referral for a student with a possible visual impairment.
- Differentiate between how vision professionals may work with classroom teachers to fully support their students.
- Identify how vision can impact areas outside of the core curriculum, including self-determination, compensatory, sensory, and social emotional learning.
Various organizations have approved modules and webinars in the Learning Hub for continuing education credit.